a good read

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Like any good architectural hobbyist, my library reflects my interests. Yes, I do watch HGTV at the gym but my biggest source of inspiration are books, both what I fancy "picture books" and what I call, "actual reading" books. The book Great American Houses and Their Architectural Styles by Virginia McAlester falls into the category of "picture books" for me, gorgeous photos with great diagrams and descriptions.

The houses featured that I've toured? Well here is a partial list to give an idea of the range this book covers as a good introduction to American architecture:

Spanish Governor's Palace in San Antonio, TX
Vizcaya in Miami, FL

Biltmore in Asheville, NC

Glessner House in Chicago, IL

Mark Twain House in Hartford, CT. I was 13 the first time we toured this one and was astounded that he lived next door to Harriet Beecher Stowe. I imagined, at 13, that they had wonderful tea parties!
Lee House in Marblehead, MA (check out Katy Elliott for more Marblehead photos!)
These photos are not from the book but from Fodor's, Wikipedia, the respective house museum sites, Alexander Balloon and North Shore Magazine