ice skating

Monday, January 9, 2012

I'm one of those people that has a new hobby with every new moon. You name it, I've taken it up. I wanted to share my newest hobby with you, lest you succumb to winter doldrums anytime soon.

My fad hobby is figure skating. That's right folks. I decided it was something I always wanted to learn and while it is a tad embarrassing to be shown up by high schoolers (heck, elementary schoolers) on practice days, it is fun and a great workout. I recently read in some fitness magazine that you can burn up to 400 calories and hour. I'll take it. And architecturally/aesthetically pleasing rinks? Yes indeed!

Somerset House, London

Hyde Park, London photo

Hotel de Ville (City Hall) in Paris photo

Some of my favorite skating tutorials are filmed in a beautiful rink. My best guess is that they take place in Városliget Park. photo

Nothing like a little bit of home, in the park, at the National Gallery, or in an old train depot. Or for the non-skier in the family, i.e. me.