porcelain furnishings

Thursday, February 2, 2012

After seeing a similar piece at Whitehall in the Colonial Bedroom, I wanted to learn more about these porcelain tables. I came across this piece, very similar to the side table in question, on 1stDibs. It is a KPM Porcelain Writing Bureau from Germany. They date it from the 19th Century. Apparently it is crafted of porcelain pieces and ebonized wood.

I found other images without provenance or description unfortunately, mostly from auction catalogs past. The first one of Royal Sèvres Manufacture with ebonized wood, ormolu, inset porcelain plates and medallions. The second said only said that it was French. image

This one had the description of having been created by Capodiamonte.

Other bizarre pieces by KPM? How about a porcelain pistol?

In summation, never have I felt like such a Hercule Poirot of antiques yet still coming up short!
Parnassus said...

Hi Ann, The porcelain-mounted furniture certainly is spectacular; I'm not sure that I could live up to it. I have also seen the effect used in a more sedate manner, which I really like. In Taiwan recently, there is a trend toward using architectural panels and embellishments of cast glass, which I also admire, and which will go into my dream home one day.
--Road to Parnassus