upgrade your glade

Friday, April 6, 2012

In all honesty, I'm not one to buy a pricey candle. Usually, I love the natural smells of a stove top simmer recipe like this one from Morgan Moore on Pinterest.



Although when candles are required, I go glade. I'm cheap. So inspired by pricey candles I used to buy, I started giving my drugstore buys a quick makeover before burning them. And did I mention I'm not crafty? Inevitably when I "craft" I end up caving and just buying the store version anyways, but only after I've got paint in my hair and I've accidentally glued my fingers together... So this is obviously really easy. Here's one of the pricier ones.

I've been loving these Airwick essential oil ones lately and for around five dollars, they're perfect. Although, I'm not wild about the plain glass votives showing colored wax. Call me crazy but I spray paint them. In matte or satin black. For some reason it makes them look so much more luxe.
I like the light to show through a bit but you could really pile on a second coat of paint to prevent that. To each their own. Some other fun ideas that are not as much my thing, mod banded or colored with a sharpie.

p.s. didn't get any free candles
ArchitectDesign™ said...

great idea!! I don't like the glade (i think they smell chemically -but i'm crazy) but I will definitely keep this in mind!

Ann said...

I'm with you, these essential oil ones aren't terrible. They smell a lot more natural than those made up scents!