Hunt Slonem's Lakeside in Louisiana

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

In researching Mr. Slonem's Louisiana restoration projects, I came across this 2007 NY Times article on his work at an 1832 plantation house called Lakeside. What a beautiful property and I like that this was more of rehabilitation than restoration in some of the details.


I have a distant relative involved in Charleston restoration. A big theme I took away from listening to him was the significance of restoration v. rehabilitation v. preservation. I know it is a contentious debate. But when I come across an interior that has been saved but not entirely finished, it captures the imagination a bit. 










Parnassus said...

Hello Ann, I definitely like the look of not over-restored. I can never understand why people move into an old building, then insist that everything look like new. Lakeside looks like a place I could live.
--Jim

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I actually LOVE the rough finishes, etc. It's old -it should look old! I hate when things get so OVERLY restored that they look brand new. Whats the point?

Lord Cowell said...

I like the large tester above the bed but I can't see how it is hung or supported? It looks like it is simple there by magic.